“You’ve got to dance like there’s nobody watching, Love like you’ll never be hurt, Sing like there’s nobody listening, And live like it’s heaven on earth.” — William W. Purkey.
But it had me thinking. May BE dance like everyone is watching would perfectly suit us! Aha, we have loved when we turned your heads with respect to our elite choreography works by advance dances but this could go wrong too.Reminded me of a competition in 2015.
Round 1 : We danced and had more than 1000 video views in just couple days. Got their wows and had their eyebrows up for what a trained 9 year old can do when she competed with one of the Pure Folk Dance of India – Rajasthani Ghoomar(Ghumar/Ghummar).
This competition included some of the premier dance businesses in Dallas-Fortworth areas that claim to teach folk dances of India for years and several freelance choreographers in Dallas Fortworth(Texas).
Judges : Judges of this dance competition were local dance teachers who did not have a clue in Folk Dances of India while rubrics was made by one of their partnering folk-dance company.
The form was very much shown to them with the details announced as well. It was NOT FUSION or Bollywood that was announced! No mistakes were made not because of perfection was a factor but because that is how trained form is! Ouchy! These ego(s) were hurt when pure trained form was shown to people who were just shown until now all the you-tube inspired dances in name of folk dances and most of which do not have techniques or do not even represent culture at all. A fine-line was ruled then based on who teaches what! All went well and until Round 2.
Round 2: It was round 2, when the politics started and organizer entertained it.
Take-1 : Our student as if tripped & something was stuck in her feet. She cried and stopped. So we requested several times that please allow a re-take, as we didn’t quite notice as to what might have gone wrong when the same dance and costume was worn by student several times in several competitions prior to this competition. 2014 Wins Pictures. We didn’t understand what had happened until take-2 when the whole thing surfaced up!
During the performance, the organizer tells us that we are pushing our students to compete (What? is he dreaming in day-time ? He cannot see what happened? If that was the case why did you take our entries and wasted all this time!).
Take -2 : The whole bottom lace came off half way and student fell. The cameraman and organizer did not think of even assuring the child of being okay instead called on next performer and denied third-try arguing about us pushing child and what not in front of child. Ms. Joshi ran to Walgreens and got the safety pin boxes or stitching kit to see if something temporary can be done if in case things work out. We got the entire costume skirt fixed with 100s of safety pins there itself.
Several requests were made and just one of the team members/organizers allowed re-take 3 provided we get it done before all participants videos are over. We were able to get it done. so take-3 happened.
Take-3 : Went 100% successful and just the way it should be, and the way performer was trained. No mistakes were made, and it was actual work that had won several awards/prizes in competitions in past.
Issues : It was shocking for us that they allowed re-takes for other dancers for simple-costume changes without being protocol of competition (as conveyed to us) and yet did not make a fuss about it but he had problems with us doing re-take..based on what ? valid reasons ? The organizer was under the influence of other dance school as whole thing was a set-up.
If they couldn’t stop us there, read yourself what happened :
- Public voting –
- our parent’s email accounts on competition website were frozen.
- our videos were not allowed to be voted. In spite of repeated requests to the organizers and phone calls where we were told the system will be up shortly. Some parents even gave their email account passwords to Ms. Joshi to see if she could login to their account but that didn’t work either.
- If system was a problem, how come others were allowed to vote on their videos and write comments too?
- Includes our own users who were able to vote for other friends’ videos and informed us that they couldn’t vote to our videos until last 2 hours…how do you explain that?
- When told about an issue and information that our parents know that it is happening, the organizer told us as to what happened to Kruti Dance Academy in America’s Got Talent. We will get you a wild card, what is the big deal. My friend, you are not even there where you can issue wild card to us, not after all this dirty politics.
- It didn’t end there. Later when we checked about selection process for third round, we were told expressions were a problem and blaming it on accident that happened.
- The organizers were informed on stage itself that she is doing Advance Rajasthani Ghoomar(Ghumar/Ghummar)and so expressions are NOT a factor as for this folk, the face is covered half way to nose and in some variations all the way to neck!
- Obviously stage being too small even for a solo-artist (-unsafe), covering a child’s face isn’t practical thing to do. But does that change the way, a dance is taught? NO. Common Sense.
- She did what she was taught and what we learned.(Bio of Ms. Hetal Joshi-Blog, In Making).
- We then checked expression of those who got in for non-classical categories as that is what ours was–none of participants had it on their face and were just blank open eyes, then how is it they got in? Interesting-right?
It was a public competition. These students are budding artist and they are very precious to us because they work hard all year round to learn something authentic, take certified trainings in it.
- Even when we walked out, the competition organizers couldn’t stop another 1000 views in second round with beautiful comments from other dance company owners, how could they;later they had to shut down the comments/likes-too bad you couldn’t stop that.
- Egos were hurt again when they realized that our performer delivered what she was trained in, just the way it was supposed to be done, all of that after accidents and with nearly a hundred safety pins in her skirt.Can your child do that without training?
That is power of commitment and training, NOT FORCE !
If you don’t know what dance form it is and how it is to be judged then don’t allow!
However, we would like to extend our thanks to Manohar Nim during this competition for keeping things light for our performers when accidents happened and allowed us to do retakes.
- The whole idea of the competition was as well taken from Grace And Grooves December 2014 face-book post when one of our student’s relative got prizes in pure folk dances of Gujarat after doing one of our choreographer’s lessons. If you don’t know how to implement other’s ideas, don’t do it!
Obviously, with this kind of attitude towards the students and parents from the organizers for our dance team and online politics that was never answered—we then exited the competition because it was not worth spending time or wasting our precious students’ energy over a competitions where it was all pre-decided! It is a stupidity to argue with a fool.
It’s a fact; a quality product is always compromised for a trashy piece in the name of giftedness or best alternative is – just do service as you’ll have your kind standing up for all the wrong things you’ve do/done or continue to do at the cost of innocent kids and real people with authentic straight backgrounds.
As matter of fact, we take it as our honor that we got all our competition wins without serving anybody or doing any partnerships. We are not at your mercy to seek your competition awards with all this politics and dirty humiliation that you had put our students through/non-stop while they were doing competition screening. All of that in an open media and when other dance school parents were present.
But, altogether this is a perfect example of Wrong Audiences with partnered businesses influenced by other businesses for their own personal benefits/politics.
So, did it matter here on whether dance like nobody is watching or dance like everyone’s watching?
Sometimes it’s just NOT WORTH wasting your time at some competitions.
SO, how we ruled out to exit from this competition: All of the above PLUS:
- The very same Folk Dance of India (by Grace and Grooves) and Bollywood Fusion of Hip Hop and other styles (by Grace Creations) that competed in this local competition in Dallas-Fortworth had already won several awards in Indian Dance Competitions (with costume guidelines) in Dallas Fortworth, Texas as well as in India where judges had Masters Degree from some of the finest universities in Kathak & Bharatnatyam as their main dance forms and folk dance of India as their secondary subjects.
- The wins were not just against Folk Dances of India that compelled us to make that decision at right time but it was our wins were against pure classical choreography by some of finest artists in Dallas-Fortworth Areas that they chose to categorize in non-classical categories. Pictures! Click Here;considering the latest!
- We take these artists as our inspiration and today also we follow their media pages because we love what they do. We know the originality in their work because we know the work involved for competitions.
- Grace and Grooves with Grace Creations touches the heights of creativity where and when it is required depending on dance form, style, fusion or call it our favorite Bollywood that you may choose to join. It is ALL about what goes where and at what time.
When your child competes with Grace and Grooves | Grace Creations, we take responsibility of your child from start to finish so that it is worth turning heads of right people at right place.
Your child is not a showpiece for entertainment and is very precious to us. After all this competition experiences, we are at a point where we are able to judge the competition judges and marks given by them!
None of the awards listed on our website are won by doing any kind of partnerships/sponsorships in competitions, or in lieu of issuing tickets or any services to any kind of agencies. For fundraising competitions as well, the sale of tickets was kept totally anonymous to organizer to get a clean win.
Please feel free to comment, we are absolutely glad that we made this decision in second round itself…It saved us further humiliation and dirty politics! We saved millions in those minutes-our time is precious just as our students. We hugged them twice after this competition for NOT participating in this competition.
This was our very first competition in our entire history that went like this. Let’s face it, when you see the coin-it has head and tail. This did not have any! Not all that glitters is gold, thus worth a buy!